Friday, January 31, 2014

The Brain-Targeted Pgs.1-26 Neuro-Myths

Neuromyths:

When looking at neuromyths, I found it absolutely astonishing how many myths are out there and how many we believe. I think one of the biggest reasons that we come to believe so many of these myths such as "listening to Mozart will make your baby smarter" is because many companies are talking us into it. For example, look at the Baby Einstein series where they promise the parent that their baby will get smarter from listening to their DVDs. In this particular example, you want your baby to be smart so you buy what everyone is raving about and hope that it works. 
 
I must admit that I was one of those Mom's too and I don't think it made my child any smarter than she is today. I fell into that gap where other mom's were recommending it so I purchased it too.

Teaching to other's learning style was another very believed myth when I was growing up. We would take placement type tests to see what kind of learning style worked best for us and than try to gear our own study practices to this style. According to the text 90% of people were in belief that this was how educators should be finding out how to teach their students and should gear their teaching to those styles. How could ONE educator do that for classrooms that were pushing 20 different students?? I don't think it was ever possible but more of a plan for companies to obtain more money on selling products to teachers to help in this journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment